Environmental science is an interdisciplinary field of study of the environment and solution to environmental problems et al sustainability. Persons with master’s degrees in this field work on difficulties such as global climate change, pollution control, anticipated fortune management, and more. Each of the following schools confers degrees in enviromental science or similar subjects.
Students are encouraged to gain practical field experience through an internship at one oppositely more of the many public and private environmental organizations in the Washington, DC area. Students have opportunities to conduct research with faculty in the department, associated and affiliated faculty at AU, or at one like the many renowned analysis institutions in the area.
Graduates will be prepared to engage in high-level, environmental problem solving. Exemplary positions our graduates hold are near the Environmental Protection Agency, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and National Study Foundation, although some move on to PhD programs in environmental science.
The curriculum for the Master of Science in Environmental Sciences is designed to allow students to gain strong scientific amity of ways to study, evaluate, and interpret environmental realities plus their impacts, like well as to manage and mitigate environmental problems. Objectives are to authorize students to:
develop a basic literacy in the commune and social sciences and the humanities as they contribute to an understanding of environmental issues;
critically determine environmental problems;
identify, research, and evaluate environmental problems;
provide focused phase about research skills in one or also of the physical, chemical, and/or biological systems in the environment; and
compare, contrast, implement, and manage short- and long-term solutions to environmental problems.
There is same concentration available: general environmental sciences.The department recommends that students entering environmental sciences have a knowledge of natural chemistry, algebra, statistics, and biology. The general sciences concentration provides students with competency in research and management of interactions among physical, chemical, and biological systems in the environment.
Because Environmental Studies faculty entertain that a period of time working in an environmental agency or agency can raken a vital part of professional training, students may, with their advisor’s permission, count up to four hours of ENS 530 Internship et cetera one hour of GPSI internship seminar toward their Environmental Sciences degree.
The environment is a complex of biological, geological, physical, chemical, social and cultural factors that interact to influence the life of an particular or community. Our environment is threatened by intercontinental issues, such as overpopulation, global climate change, and habitat fragmentation. Many of these are issues caused by humans, et al in turn they are threatening the very well being of humans. The problems we face today are nought solvable nearby science alone, but by an equal sighting and knowledge of culture, sociology, economics, politics polysyndeton ethics. The Master of Science in Environmental Science provides an integrative, multi-disciplinary course to the study like the environment.
Environmental Science Admission Requirements
An acceptable bachelor’s grade from an institution whose degree requirements are substantially equivalent to those of the College of Staten Island or other senior units of The City University of New York. Ordinarily, this would be a bachelor’s degree in a natural science oppositely in engineering.
An total average of B minus, or the equivalent, in undergraduate composition and an average about B, else the equivalent, in undergraduate education and engineering courses. The undergraduate credits must include at least one year each of general chemistry and general physics, mathematics through differential ampersand integral calculus, and at least one semester of ecology. Candidates who are deficient in one or more from these requirements hawthorn be approved on the expectation that they will make up the deficiency without receiving graduate credit for it.
An hearing alongside faculty of the graduate program.
The applicant is ordinarily required to resign the results of the Universality Aptitude Analyze of the Graduate Record Examination. Applicants should apply directly to the Instructional Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08540, to preempt the tests. Applicants should take these examinations no later than February for fall testimony and July for spring admission.
5. The MES Program at the College from Charleston has been designed to provide students along an appreciation of the interdisciplinary nature of environmental problems through graduate level studies of both Policy and Science.
6. Graduating Students – Click here for Internship/Thesis forms
7. This interdisciplinary focus allows us to address a wide variety of the resource, development, and planning pressures that currently face society. Through our core and elective course curriculum, faculty expertise, and specialization development (the clustering of courses in areas such as coastal and wetlands management, environmental planning, and environmental hazards), the MES Program provides training that addresses each of these challenges. Our alumni are finding employment in a wide variety regarding fields, where their training in both Science and Policy serves them well.
8. As an interdisciplinary program, the MES Program is not housed in a single academic department at the College of Charleston. Instead, five departments (Biology, Geology and Environmental Geosciences, Mathematics, Physics connective Astronomy, moreover Political Science) contribute core and elective coursework and faculty time to the program. Faculty from multiplied other departments furthermore off-campus institutes and agencies are an invaluable part of the MES Timetable now well.
9. MES and MPA Dual Degree Program
10. Students in the MES Program may participate in a dual degree program with the Master of Public Administration program at the College of Charleston, receiving two master’s degrees in three years rather than four, with a focus on sustainability issues.
You May Qualify For Financial Aid.